Monday, September 10, 2007

Dangers of a cluttered house...

I grew up in a large family. My home growing up was a disaster zone. With Dad, Mom and eight children (me being one of the younger ones), it's no wonder the house was constantly in disarray. When I was young, maybe 6 or 7, I remember the bedroom I was in being so messy I honestly couldn't tell you the color of the rug. There were toys and clothes and all sorts of things strewn about the room completely covering it.

One day while playing with my younger brother in my room, I decided to walk over to the door so I could close it. On my way there, walking on top of bits of clothes and random toys, I felt a sharp pain in my little toe. I looked down and to my surprise, my toe was completely covered in blood. I didn't scream or yell or cry. I think I was more in shock than anything else.

I limped on my heal, keeping my toe off the ground, out the door and down the hall to my parent's room. I knocked on their door and told them I hurt my toe. They told me I'd be OK. I knocked again and told them it was bleeding. They told me to get one of my sisters to get me a band aid. I knocked a third time and told them it was bleeding pretty bad and I wanted them too take a look. At that, my dad finally opened the door, looked at my foot and picked me up in one great swoosh, rushing to the bathroom and plopping me down on the bathroom sink. He put my foot under the running tap water to wash away the blood and see how bad the cut was.

I had remained pretty calm up to this point. My dad's face turned pale and he yelled for my brothers and sisters. I told him what happened and he shouted at the siblings that had come to go look for a piece of my toe in the bedroom. I looked at my dad, probably turning pale myself. "Do I have to go to the hospital?" I asked. "Probably" he said, trying to keep me calm as I began panicking. I begged and pleaded with him not to take me to the hospital. I had never had stitches before and the thought of them petrified me. A moment later one of my sisters came into the bathroom holding my lost little toe piece.

To make a long story short, I was rushed to the ER and had my toe stitched back together. Later I found out what the cause of the accident was. Apparently, a glass jar had somehow broken on my bedroom floor and with all the toy and clothes and clutter I couldn't see it and had stepped right onto it.

Clutter in our homes can be dangerous. Think of the fire hazard a cluttered hall can be. How many toes have been stubbed and how many people have tripped over piles of stuff in their own homes. I tripped over a backpack while rushing down the stairs on my way to school one morning as a teenager. I fractured my foot and got out of gym class for 2 months as a result.

One good reason to take a look around and start picking up those piles is for our own health and safety. Speaking of which, I think I'd better go upstairs and start picking up a few piles myself. Maybe you can find something in your home to pick up as well. How about picking up your bedroom floor or any floor that you walk on. If your house gets as bad as mine, it can't all be done in a day. Small steps to success! God bless!

3 Comments:

Blogger Juventa said...

I remember when I was a junior in highschool, on Christmas Day, I turned the lights out ready to go to bed. As I made my way through the dark, I tripped over a pile of laundry and hit my head on the corner of my metal desk. I started screaming, "Turn on the lights! Turn on the lights!" when my sister, in a somber voice exclaimed, "The lights are on." At this I panicked. Not only was I covered in blood, I was completely unable to see. I was rushed downstairs and finally a dim light was visible through the blood. After being rushed to the hospital, I received many stitches in my eyelid. The doctor said I was 1/4" away from losing my eye and sight completely. So...yes...clutter is dangerous. It can ruin our lives. I hope to one day calm the chaos in my life:)

September 13, 2007 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Jorgo said...

Small Steps indeed!

With all of one's toes.....

That was a hair raising tale told masterfully!

All one needs to do is survive and attempt to grow...

My sister used to drop pins and needles all over her carpet - when I inherited her room I used to find them with my bare feet. Until I policed the whole carpet on my hands and knees one day.

All the best for it.

Hugh

September 14, 2007 at 11:50 PM  
Blogger CompleteLee Blogger said...

What a horrible experience! So do you have the solution? How to keep a house clean and organized with a houseful of kids?

August 2, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home